Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Testimony

Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.

 —Doctrine & Covenants 24:8

It’s a pretty simple statement, saying that I know this church is true. But it really is, and I really do know it. Every principle we have, from the Word of Wisdom to repentance, comes directly from God. Our prophets are our lifeline to His modern teachings, and their words are doctrine.
The Spirit is such an incredible gift; one that I don't think we'll ever be able to fully thank Heavenly Father for. He is the Comforter, completely and truly. It’s through the Holy Ghost’s influence that we're able to get through the toughest and most trying times, the times where we don't even want to try anymore at all. The times where no one has the right words to soothe us, or to make us want to keep living. He is there, a silent but constant reminder of God’s love for us. Letting us know that we’re never truly alone, that Christ is always there to heal our broken hearts.


I know that Jesus Christ gave his life for us, so that someday we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. He felt all of our pain, every single little moment of sadness that we've ever had–all the guilt, humiliation, depression and anxiety, not to mention our physical pains. He took those upon himself, and bore them gladly, because he loves us so much. He didn't want anyone, not one single person, to be left behind when it’s our time to return to Heaven. And it’s amazing that if I had been the only one who needed the Atonement–the only one Christ could save by suffering on the cross, he still would have done it. For me alone. He loves us individually, and knows us perfectly.


The Atonement is such an amazingly incredible blessing in our lives, every single day. No one’s perfect. We all screw up, big and small. But through the Atonement we have the chance to fix that; to erase our mistakes and try again. Because God knew that when we came to Earth, we'd need a way to become clean again. He knew that we'd struggle and sometimes fall. He wanted us to have a way to pick ourselves back up and try again. Repentance is such a huge thing, and I hope that I'll never take it for granted again. Because losing the Spirit isn’t worth the risk.
I know that service and charity are what make this church so great, and that it’s the greatest way to do missionary work. Just through kind words, we can change someone’s life. Save someone’s life. We can rebuild hope, inspire courageous acts, and help others towards Christ. If we can do all of that with just words, imagine the influence we have through actions. Through a smile, or a hug, or a handwritten note letting someone know they were on your mind. Through helping others, through patience, through giving to the needy. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Charity changes us, and it changes the world. 



A church that has helped create so many wonderful feelings, so many amazing people, so many incredible families–it has to be true. And I know it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment