Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Modesty + Garments

**shoutout to @swankymorm for this blog post idea! If I didn't clear up what you wanted me to, let me know and I'll add more to this post!**

Modesty is one of those things that I've always had a very strong opinion on. I wore tank tops up until 8th grade, when I decided that I didn't want to push it anymore and I threw them all away. That was as immodest as I ever was.

One of the things that sincerely bothers me are the girls who will dress modestly at all other times, and then suddenly for a school dance their dress is revealing. I don't understand it. First of all if you're going to dress modestly 24/7 and then suddenly for a very important event you sacrifice those standards, what kind of example are you setting? 

Secondly, those strapless dresses are just plain uncomfortable. Everyone I've talked to or been around who has worn a strapless dress has complained about them being impossible. They're either too tight around your bustline, or they slip every ten seconds so you're constantly adjusting yourself. It doesn't matter if you get the fancy bras or the dress tape (yes there is such a thing if you've never heard of it), you'll still be uncomfortable the whole night. Especially if you aren't accustomed to dressing that way on a regular basis. I know finding a modest formal dress is extremely difficult, but come on ladies. Wear a sweater, or have someone sew some sleeves onto the dress if you really absolutely cannot find an already modest option. Sewing machines still exist! Alterations can be made!

Now let me address the girls who dress immodestly on a regular basis. Everyone has agency, which means you have the right to choose your own clothes. We're not five years old anymore where our mothers lay out our clothes on our beds for us to make sure that they match. And fashion is SUPER fun, honestly it is. I would be buying new clothes every week if I had the money and there were some decent stores here in podunk Rexburg. But being fashionable doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your standards. You can dress cute and still be appropriately covered. If you don't believe me, check out this article.

First of all, on a practical/economical note: do you have any idea how expensive it would be if you lived life that way? 

If you dressed immodestly for a long period of time, acquiring clothing that would not work with garments, things will probably not go so well for you in the money department later on. Lets say that you're like me, and get married at 22. I still have clothing from my senior year of high school; almost 5 years ago. So by the time you hit 22, probably about 70-80% of your wardrobe would be immodest. You'd obviously have some clothes that were church appropriate, and some things that happened to be cute and modest, but a good chunk of your wardrobe would not pass the modesty test. And maybe 20% of those clothes can be altered so they're modest: a sweater on top of a shirt, or a skirt lengthener under a skirt or dress. 

BUT.

Sweaters are somewhat expensive. Skirt lengtheners are ridiculously expensive. And based on my math, this still means that you have to throw out 50-60% of your clothing. That's a LOT of clothes, ladies. A lot. Plus you're purchasing garments which are fairly cheap, but you'll need 8-10 pairs, which would cost at least $40 depending on what kind of garments you get.

I'll make this very clear: living this kind of lifestyle is not practical in a worldly sense.

On a spiritual note: living this way is not conducive with living the gospel. 

Just like alcohol and other substance abuse dulls our senses, I firmly believe that dressing immodestly can hinder our ability to feel the spirit. While everyone has their own personal definition of what is modest (leggings are/aren't pants, etc) there are some standards that are universally accepted as modest or immodest. Read the For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet section on modesty and it should clear up some stuff for you if you're not sure as to whether something is modest or not.

There are a lot of girls who have the attitude of "oh well I'll just dress like this until I'm ready to go on a mission/get married, and then once I get endowed I'll start dressing more modestly."

THIS ATTITUDE MAKES ME WANT TO RIP MY HAIR OUT!!!!!!!

This is the same type of thinking as "I'll do this bad thing, and then I'll repent later so it doesn't even matter if I do it now. I can always repent!" Just...no. NO. The repentance process is a gift, not meant to be abused in that way. The same goes for our bodies: they are gifts from God, and aren't meant to be abused.

I'm sorry if the entire upper half has just been me ranting, but I felt like it needed to be said. If you haven't already, you can check out my post on my personal blog about my opinion on modesty here. So now, on to the practical application of these concepts.

When I got endowed, there were two pairs of shorts that I got rid of because they wouldn't work with garments. That's it. I'm blessed enough to have been raised in a gospel family, with a mom who is also endowed. So when I was younger and would go shopping with her, or especially later on if I brought her shopping with me, she could tell me what kinds of clothing would be impossible or difficult to wear with garments.

If you look at something and question whether it is "garment appropriate," honestly your best bet is to just put it back and forget about it. Because there are some clothes that seem questionable, but DO work with garments. However, I can always tell when someone is in that situation of "pushing the boundaries" because they are constantly adjusting their sleeves, neckline, or the hem of their skirt during activities or church services. They're extremely self-conscious as to whether or not their garments are showing, and it's a constant worry. So unless you want to be pulling tugging shifting constantly, just buy clothing you know for a fact will work with garments. It makes life SO much easier, I promise.


In closing, please enjoy this super cheesy but still relevant MormonAd that's apparently from the August 2000 New Era. Or don't enjoy it. It's a free country.

No comments:

Post a Comment