My name is
Jessica Ellen Gwilliam, and I am from Simi Valley, California. I am the oldest
of four children; I have one younger sister and two younger brothers. I married
my husband Jake in August of 2014 and we now live in Rexburg with our
dachshund, Zoe. Some of my interests include reading, writing, painting,
scrapbooking, cooking and baking, photography, and singing. Many of these
interests are not only hobbies, but abilities that will be useful to me as a
teacher. I believe it is important not only to teach our students from the
education curriculum but also to teach how to find what they are passionate about,
and that those passions can be used to learn more about subjects that they
might not find immediately interesting. Other talents I have that will be
useful when teaching are my organizational skills, my passion for learning, and
my desire to make those around me feel comfortable and loved, no matter what
the situation.
Before attending
Brigham Young University Idaho, I spent three years at Moorpark Community
College and graduated with two degrees. My degree in Social & Behavioral
Sciences has given me a background in psychology and sociology, improving my
knowledge of the human mind and the social dynamics of schools, which I believe
are vital to being a successful teacher. My degree in Humanities has given me a
deeper appreciation not only for English literature, but for other areas of
humanities such as painting and photography. These are all areas of education
that I am very passionate about, and plan to use in my classroom to teach my
students about the world around them.
The reasons I chose
teaching as a profession are very dear to my heart, and I believe will make me
a better teacher. Throughout my elementary and secondary years of school I was
told by many teachers that I was stupid, lazy, and that I did not care about
being successful. I struggled academically until I reached college, and I was
diagnosed with ADHD. No teacher ever suggested that I had a learning
disability; they merely wrote me off as incapable and unwilling to learn. I chose
to become a teacher because I never want another student to feel as worthless
as I did in school. My goal as a teacher is to make my classroom an environment
where no matter what disabilities or weaknesses a student may have, they can
feel comfortable, appreciated, and like they are progressing in life.
My teaching philosophy
can be summed up perfectly by a quote from Thomas S. Monson: “We have the
responsibility to see individuals, not as they are, but rather as they can
become.” I believe that each child has potential, and it is my job as a teacher
to recognize that potential, and to help each student see that potential in themselves.
Once we recognize our abilities to succeed, nothing can stop us from making
that vision of success a reality.

No comments:
Post a Comment