With apps like Tinder, the whole online dating scene is becoming a pretty big thing. And there are a LOT of mixed feelings about this topic within the Church, especially from older generations. They tend to have an extremely negative view about dating online, and they're (obnoxiously) vocal about it. They say that nothing good can ever come of it, that you're not even talking to the person you think you are, etc. And I'm sure we've all heard these arguments before from parents/other family members, and not even concerning dating. Maybe your mom has said something about you having online friends because of Twitter Stake.
Those people need to get their heads out of their butts and out into the real world.
When the internet first started and chat rooms became a thing, yes they were very dangerous. Webcams were uncommon, and Facebook and other social media weren't even around/popular, so it was easy for people to pretend to be someone they weren't. In 2015 with the way technology has progressed, it's nearly impossible for someone to disguise themselves, as long as we're all taking the right precautions. (More on those precautions later.)
I'm a HUGE advocate for online dating/friendships, and you know why? Husband and I met online. Through Facebook, yes, so it wasn't as "scandalous" as it could have been, but still. People are either pleasantly surprised when we share this information, or they're completely put off from ever speaking to us again. And I find that SO SAD. Just because the first time I spoke to my spouse was through a computer screen doesn't make our love any less real or "right."
Countless church leaders have spoken about the power for good (and for evil) that the internet holds, and I believe that online dating is just another one of those opportunities. I've heard countless horror stories about online dates gone horribly wrong, creepy messages or cyber-stalkers, and so much more. While those are common, there are so many good opportunities on these sites! We have an opportunity to share the gospel, or to find other LDS people who we may never have met in person. Husband and I definitely would not have met if it hadn't been for the LDS Facebook group that we were both members of; he lived in Texas, and I was in California.
While there are a plethora of awesome opportunities for us on the internet, there are also opportunities for Satan to use the internet for evil. So with that said, here's my advice on how to handle online dating.
1. Don't let them guilt-trip you.
One of the best things about online dating is that if there's someone you don't want to talk to, you don't have to! It's not like in person where ignoring someone is considered rude, or sometimes completely impossible. You can simply delete messages/block someone from contacting you. Don't talk to someone who makes you feel uncomfortable, or who tries to make you pity them.
2. If you're going to meet someone, choose a public place.
This is an obvious precaution so hopefully it needs no explanation.
3. If you're going to meet someone, tell a friend/family member where you'll be going.
On the off-chance that the person you're meeting up with does end up being a creepy serial killer/kidnapper, letting someone know where you are is always a good idea. And letting them know when you expect to be back is even better. Better safe than sorry.

No comments:
Post a Comment